Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Presidential Faithful?

If you were watching the Democratic and Republican Presidential debates on CNN last week, than you, I and the rest of the world just witnessed the possible ruin of this country (at least, according to me). Just how many of those GOP smarty-pants claimed to believe in creation? And just how many claimed that "jesus is my lord and saviour"? Almost enough times to put me in convulsions. Eww!!! To me, it was almost worse than torture. I felt nauseous, I couldn't stop squirming. But this was to be more or less expected by the Republicans, except maybe for the old Rudy Giuliani -- who, by the way, never did a damn thing for NYC before, during or after 9/11.

But...the Democrats? Did you see that ridiculous show CNN did about Faith and Politics? First, who the hell ever said that one had to be religious or have faith to care about the less fortunate, or others? Well according to the priests, they asked the hopefuls how their faith would help them eradicate poverty? I was by myself and I remember laughing out loud at the thought that any hopeful who won would pray really hard, and all poverty would just vanish instantly, like Samantha on Bewitched.

Most of all I'ld just like to know when and how all of this religiosity became socially acceptable; especially and more frighteningly so, among the mainstream, liberal media? This wouldn't have happened 5, 10, 15 or 30 years ago. There would have been protests, backlash, it just couldn't have happened. Not even with Falwell's Moral Majority. In fact, because of Falwell, there was always the liberal mainstay against the evangelical right; so, no, that doesn't expain it.

Is this country getting more conservative, in general? For example, I am not just pro-choice, I am pro-abortion and have been since the mid 1980's when it was very legal and very available almost everywhere. Now it wasn't until 1991 that the National Right To Life Movement started getting very serious, with the fire-bombings, physician murders, etc., and 16 years later it's as if abortion never existed. As a very coincidental aside to this, I was researching something earlier yesterday, and came across a site about abortion. I instantly thought to myself that, oh this is another one of those anti-abortion sites, but I started reading and became overjoyed that it wasn't! It had been that long since I had seen or heard anything positive about abortion.

If 70% of Americans want the invasion in Iraq to end and our poor troops to come home, doesn't that make us less conservative? Maybe it doesn't and I just don't understand the "average" American. And there's the rub. I never have and I never will know what makes the average American tick. How could I? I was born on one coast, and brought up on the other. That leaves a whole lotta land in between, with people and problems that I couldn't begin to fathom!

But if anyone has some answers to these questions, please write in.

-Valerie