Monday, September 10, 2007

What religion?

Does this sound like something you would hear in your daily life?

To conclude, I invite you to embrace Christianity, for the greatest mistake one can make in this world and one which is uncorrectable is to die while not surrendering to God, the Most High, in all aspects of one’s life – i.e., to die outside of Christianity. And Christianity means gain for you in this first life and the next, final life. The true religion is a mercy for people in their lives, filling their hearts with serenity and calm.

While reading a transcript of Bin Laden's most recent tape, I found a paragraph that just sounded so familiar to me. I realized that I had heard something similar from a Xian missionary a few years before. With a few changes, we got the above paragraph.
What struck me is how similar religions really are. I'm not talking about the books, I'm talking about the people who profess the belief. An extremist in one religion would be as extreme if they held a different belief. When it comes down to it, it is about power, and control over the masses; the most extreme tend to want that power and control - it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Here is the original quote:
To conclude, I invite you to embrace Islam, for the greatest mistake one can make in this world and one which is uncorrectable is to die while not surrendering to Allah, the Most High, in all aspects of one’s life – i.e., to die outside of Islam. And Islam means gain for you in this first life and the next, final life. The true religion is a mercy for people in their lives, filling their hearts with serenity and calm.
Copy of the transcript: http://www.nowpublic.com/bin-laden-transcript
The ABC transcript (PDF) : http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/transcript2.pdf